A dry eye is the condition in which the eye becomes dry. It normally happens when the tears are not able to provide sufficient moisture to the eyes. Dry eyes can be caused due to several factors such as deficiency in tear production, medications, smoking, aging, alcohol, environmental factors, allergies, rheumatoid arthritis and menopause. Some of the common symptoms of dry eyes are blurry vision, scratchy and burning sensation in eyes, fatigue of the eyes, eye irritation, and difficulty in wearing contact lenses, increased sensitivity to light and the presence of stingy mucus in and around the eyes.
There are several natural home remedies for dry eyes which are simple to follow and easy to use. Some of the popular home remedies for dry eyes which have been used since a very long time and are quite safe to use are:
1. One of the simplest home remedies for dry eyes is to take a damp and warm wash cloth and place it over your eyes. Allow it to be there for the next five to ten minutes. Re-soak it in warm water and apply again. This simple home remedy is very effective in restoring the moisture of the eyes by opening clogged oil glands.
2. You can try consuming flax seed oil, omega-3 oil or evening primrose oil. These fatty acids are very beneficial for the lubrication of the eyes.
3. Take some orange lentil flour, lemon juice, turmeric powder and tomato puree. Mix them all together to make a paste. Now apply this paste on the region of dark circles.
4. It’s better to turn off any air-conditioning system because it can reduce the mucus and natural moisture of the eyes.
5. Another effective home remedy is to use a baby shampoo. All you need to do is gently massage your closed eyes under eyelashes with this shampoo using your fingertips only. After the completion of massage wash your eyes properly with water. Using this method on daily basis can give good results.
6. Used tea bags can also be very effective in treating dry eyes. All you need to do is take couple of used tea bags and rinse them. Now place these tea bags on your eyes and wait for five minutes.
7. While watching television or reading a book it is a good practice to blink eyes on short intervals. This will help in spreading the tears evenly over the eyes and will prevent your eyes from getting dry.
8. At regular intervals of time you should splash water in the eyes. This will help your eyes to receive sufficient moisture from the water. This is one of the most effective home remedies for dry eyes.
9. Lavender oil can also be very useful in treating dry eyes. All you need to do is take a bowl filled with warm water and then add two to three drops of lavender oil in it. Now take couple of clean cotton balls and soak them in this solution. Take them out and squeeze the excess liquid. Place these cotton balls on your closed eyelids.
These were some of the most popular and effective home remedies for dry eyes which are simple, safe and cost-effective.